Did you know that rain brings growth to more things than plants and flowers? I have seen just how “rainy” seasons in my life motivated me to grow. Without those “dark valley’s,” I’m not sure I could relate or understand what it takes to hold on in moments of distress. What is one component of my secret to “success?” It is to allow my insecurities and worries about tomorrow bolster my courage and character.
I have learned to embrace 5 important truths about life that help me cope in moments of great distress:
- Recognize that life isn’t perfect: Life is never 100% what we expect. Everyone has a life story and it isn’t all rosy. Perfectionism does not exist. Don’t pressure yourself to appear perfect because the reality is that many people know you probably aren’t.
- Be open to learning experiences: Negative experiences can either make you or break you. Ultimately, you want a negative experience to add character, increase courage, and understanding. Think about what a negative life experience may be trying to tell you.
- Engage in introspection: Time spent alone is vital. I’m a bit supporter of time spent alone, in silence with your mind. Take time to think things through, you’d be surprised at what you can learn!
- Search earnestly for hope: My search for hope often entails prayer. A search for hope includes being open-minded and sensitive to the reality that humans can only carry but so much. This doesn’t mean you are vulnerable, it just means you are human. Find ways to appreciate your “vulnerabilities” and grow from them.
- Let life take you: A very wise woman once said to me: “just let life take you where it will, don’t fight it.” This reminds me of an analogy my mother uses: “once you enter a deep pool or ocean of water the last thing you want to do is kick uncontrollably because that is the moment when you sink.” There are moments in life when all you should do is wait, be still.
If you are currently experiencing unduly pressure, depression, and anxiety, just know that you are not alone. Sometimes life can make you feel so all alone, but remember, you are not alone. There is always someone watching over you.
I wish you the best